Subject: Request for information regarding the implementation of EU Directive 2019/944
From: "Kommnick, Sally \(BRUX\)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Pesin, Dimitri \(BRUX\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2025 15:15:58 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear Sir or Madam,

We would kindly like to ask you whether any specific regulations have been
adopted in your country when implementing an EU directive.

Specifically, our concern regards the following:

The matter concerns Directive 2019/944 (Directive (EU) 2019/944 of the
European Parliament and of the Council of 5 June 2019 on common rules for
the internal market for electricity and amending Directive 2012/27/EU) -
hereinafter: "Directive". Art. 66 of the Directive provides for exemptions
from grid operator obligations. These exemptions exist for "Community
energy initiatives", "Closed distribution systems", "Small connected
systems" and "Small isolated systems" as well as "Direct lines".

Germany has implemented this directive in the "Energiewirtschaftsgesetz
(EnWG)" (english: Energy Industry Act), among other things. As part of
this transposition, Germany has introduced a further exemption in addition
to the exemptions provided for in Art. 66 of the Directive: Section 3 No.
24a EnWG regulates a further exemption from the grid operator obligations
for so-called "Kundenanlage" (english: customer system). Such an exemption
is not provided for in the Directive.

"Kundenanlage" pursuant to Section 3 No. 24a EnWG is

"an energy installation for the supply of energy,

a) which is located in a spatially contiguous area or to which
installations pursuant to section 3 no. 1 of the "
Erneuerbare-Energien-Gesetzes (ENG) (english: "Renewable Energy Sources
Act") are connected by a direct line pursuant to section 3 no. 12 with a
maximum line length of 5,000 meters and a nominal voltage of 10 to
including 40 kilovolts,

b) are connected to an energy supply grid or to a generation facility,

c) are insignificant for ensuring effective and undistorted competition in
the supply of electricity and gas, and

d) are made available to anyone free of charge and without discrimination
for the purpose of supplying the connected end consumers by way of
transmission, irrespective of the choice of energy supplier."

(no official translation).

"Kundenanlage" is therefore an energy supply facility that serves to
supply end consumers. The operator is not the exclusive supplier, and
customers are free to choose their energy supplier. It is separated from
the public grid and is often recorded by a summation meter.

The ECJ reviewed the conformity of a "Kundenanlage" with the Directive as
part of a preliminary ruling procedure (Art. 267 Treaty on the Functioning
of the European Union (TFEU)). As part of this preliminary ruling
procedure, the ECJ ruled in Case C-293/23 (28.11.2024) that Section 3 No.
24a EnWG ("Kundenanlage") is in breach of the Directive.

An exemption as the "Kundenanlage" is important in Germany, as such
installations supply many businesses and households. As a result of this
ruling by the ECJ, the German legislator will amend Section 3 No. 24a
EnWG.

To create a harmonized internal market, We would like to ask you for
information on how the directive has been implemented in your country.

1) Does your country have a similar exemption from grid operator
obligations as provided for in Section 3 No. 24a EnWG for "Kundenanlage"?

2) If so, how exactly is this structured?

3) In this case, would it be possible for you to send us an English
version of the specific regulation?

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.

Kind regards from Brussels

D. Pesin and S. Kommnick

Dimitri Pesin and Sally Kommnick
Articled Clerks

<https://mailtasticcdn.azureedge.net/img/images/siglinks/company/37969f93-
bad2-45c2-a055-b602fe61aefa/u_logo-200LsnEyG9-orignal.png>

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

 <tel:+32%202%206390000> T: +32 2 6390000
Beiten Burkhardt Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Avenue Louise 489
1050 Brüssel
 <https://www.advant-beiten.com/> www.advant-beiten.com
 <https://www.advantlaw.com/> www.advantlaw.com

<https://www.advant-beiten.com/fileadmin/beiten/Dateien_zum_Verlinken_2024
/Digitale_Compliance_in_Europa_ADVANT_Beiten.pdf>

Beiten Burkhardt Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH ist Mitglied von ADVANT,
einer Vereinigung unabhängiger Anwaltskanzleien. Jede Mitgliedskanzlei ist
eine separate und eigenständige Rechtspersönlichkeit, die nur für ihr
eigenes Handeln und Unterlassen haftet. Diese E-Mail und sämtliche Anlagen
sind vertraulich und unterliegen möglicherweise dem Anwaltsprivileg.
Sofern Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sind, ist jede Nutzung
oder Weiterleitung dieser E-Mail und sämtlicher Anlagen strengstens
untersagt. Bitte kontaktieren Sie den Absender und löschen Sie die
Nachricht und sämtliche Anlagen von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.